Monday, April 2, 2012

Bull Nose: A Pictorial Story of My Germination Part 1

I was separated from my siblings and taken from the seed packet that I had called home for the last several months.  A set of warm, soft hands placed me in a peat pot and covered me over with a thin layer of dirt.  My new home was moist, warm, and dark.  


For several weeks, I lay dormant, absorbing the warmth and moisture.  Finally, one day, my shell cracked open and my green stem popped out.  I began to reach for the light, and within 24 hours, I was able to lift my baby leaves upright.   

For the first time, I could see my surroundings!  I noticed that several of my sibling pepper seeds had been planted in peat pots, and were happily enjoying their first light too.  We were placed on a cart in a sunny window, with a bright grow light that hummed all day long.  I stretched my stem towards the light, reaching out to its rays.


Every few days, I was removed from my happy home and placed in a tray of tepid water.  When my peat pot was saturated, I was moved back to my cart.  I continued to soak up warmth and light. 

A little over a week later, I awoke one morning to find that my first set of true leaves had emerged!  And what beautiful leaves they were!  I admired myself in the reflection from the sunny window.  Soon, I would be big and strong, and ready to venture outside...

No comments:

Post a Comment