Saturday, February 23, 2013

Compost!

I have to admit, until I started gardening a few years ago, I really didn't know the first thing about compost.  Growing up, I loved to help in my parents' and grandparents' gardens, but they didn't use compost.  They relied on fertilizer mixes applied to the plants throughout the growing season.

When my husband and I started our first garden, he was shocked to find out how ignorant I was to the benefits of compost.  His parents have a huge compost pile in their backyards and he has fond memories of helping to maintain the compost as it aged.  My husband wanted to start a compost pile in our yard, but for a variety of reasons it just isn't possible to maintain a compost pile in our space.  For a couple of years now, we have purchased bags of compost from the store, but that just seems wrong - especially all of that plastic packaging that ends up in the garbage.   

Well, I'm excited to say that I've finally convinced my husband to give container composting a try.  (He's skeptical.)  As a Christmas present, we got a small double barrel composter from Gardener's Supply Co.  My husband finally put it together last weekend in anticipation of warmer weather -- I can't wait to start filling it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment